Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday--Week 2

This is the Glockenspiel Restaurant in Mt. Angel, where we ate yesterday.
For those of you desiring proof that Chuck is still with us, that's him im the picture.
This is the Portland Spirit. It was our cruise boat today--quite nice. I'm sending lots of pictures, but I just couldn't cut any more. I wanted ya'll to see everything.
This is the ramp that the "flying machines" came off. The end of it is on the left side, but I didn't get it in the picture.
Dining on the Portland Spirit--proof again that Chuck is with us.
Literal house boats on the Williamette River. They were houses built on barges. Beautiful!
A home in the high rent district--one home, not this one, had an airplane docked at the shore. I tried to get a picture, but the boat turned, and I didn't get it.
This house was a pump station at one time. The bottom floor was a pump station. They stopped using it as a pump station, and someone bought the house and built five more stories. It is actually a six-story house. They said no one lives in or uses the house, because the owners have a nicer house somewhere else.
This is house boats next to condos.
View of the skyline and bridge.
More skyline and boats.

We are getting closer to the Flugtag. Look at all the people in the background.
More boats--more people.
More boats and people.
Drawbridge--Grandpa understands how it works--I don't.
This is where we were people watching at the fountain. Kids loved to play in it, and some adults, too.

This little girl reminded us of Kamryn. She ran around and around the fountain, twirling round and round, and jumping. She was adorable. She was so happy. Proof again that Chuck lives. We are just inside Japanese Garden.
View from one of the walking paths in the Japanese Garden.
Japanese Garden
Japanese Garden

Just inside the rose garden

I think this is a good picture.
These pictures don't do this justice. It was four levels. All of them big and full of roses. The roses are prettier in the spring, when they are in full bloom.
Just one side of another level.

Hello Everyone,
Still in Portland. Today we went on a lunch cruise on the Williamette (pronounced Wil-LAM-ette) River, people watched at the fountain by the river, toured the Japanese Garden, and the biggest rose garden I've ever seen, ate Thai food at the Thai Peacock, and now we are at the motel. It was really a fun day. I will comment more with the pictures--I've got LOTS. Drew recommended the Thai Peacock restaurant--it's downtown close to his work, and he eats there a lot. Chuck and I (yes, Chuck IS still here) ordered shrimp pad thai and egg rolls. It was very good. The lunch cruise was a 2-hour cruise. We boarded the boat at 11:30 and took off about 12:00. Charles and I ordered the cardamon crusted tuna ( the food was included in the price of the cruise). We got off the cruise boat about 2:15, and Drew got off from work at 3, so we sat by this big fountain and watched people come and go. Red Bull drink was sponsoring a Flugtag today. That's where people make funny looking "flying" contraptions, and they push them off this big ramp and see how far they "fly" before they go into the river. The two that we actually saw just went off the ramp and right into the river. They said there were probably 50,000 people there today watching, and I believe there was. Drew had to be at work at 6, so he and his friends came by and said hello. We visited with Drew a little bit, and then he went in search of food, and we left for the Japanese Garden. That was just amazing.
Good to hear from you, Lori and Rick. Also, good to hear from you, Amy, and to know that the move to Lubbock is finally going to happen. We are still planning to leave Portland some time Monday. Will talk to everyone later--I have to download a whole lot of pictures from my camera and choose which ones I will upload to the blog. Hope everyone enjoys the pictures.
Love,
Mimi







2 comments:

Amy said...

I loved all the pictures. Isn't Portland beautiful? I know why Drew likes it so much. Mimi check your spelling of y'all--you'd think you were a realtor....

Jones crew said...

It looks like y'all (yes I spelled it right Amy) are having a great time. Everything is good here, except someone has stolen the duck from the swimming pool again and the pump is not working right. Hopefully, the case of the missing duck will be solved this afternoon, and things will work right again. We've only had to replace a couple of broken windows, so maybe the parties aren't too out of control. Kamryn has quit looking everywhere for you when we go to the house, so you better get back soon before she forgets who y'all are. Have a safe rest of the trip, and we'll see you when you get home.